John Hodgman, who is now one of the cast members of The Daily Show, published a funny and slightly bizarre book called The Areas of My Expertise, which is a fake almanac of such “facts” as the history of lobster racing, the emergence of new cons such as The Pajama Man, and interesting tidbits about each state in the US, including the moveable and intangible 51st state known as Ar. (Don’t ask).
Hodgman also spends quite a bit of time (and kills a few trees with the pages he uses) on the topic of hoboes, including a list of about 700 names of famous hoboes through time and some are just laugh-out loud funny.
Here are a few:
- Holden the Expert Dreamtwister
- Mr. Wilson Fancypants
- All-But-Dissertation Tucker Dummychuck
- “X” the anonymous man or woman
- MeepMeep, the Italian Tailor
- Freak Le Freak, the Freakster
- Patrick Galactic
- Achilles Snail-Hair, the Buddha
- Rubbery Dmitry, the Mad Monk
- Sung, the Land Pirate
- Franklin Ape and his Inner Ear Infection
- Rumpshaker Phil
- Blind Buck and “Woozy,” the invisible seeing eye dog