Science Picture Books

My sixth graders are nearing completion of a book project in which they used MS PowerPoint to create and publish their own fictional Science Journey Stories as a picture book format. Their intended audience (we start sharing our books tomorrow at our school) was other students in grades first through fourth, and I have been presenting mini-lessons on some deeper aspects of PP to give them some ideas on how to use the tech to create a different kind of book.

They are also publishing their books to our Making Connections Science Weblog, which is a much larger project in which my students and other middle school-age students from three other schools in Western Massachusetts have been doing shared science experiments, posting scientific abstracts and now publishing science-based fictional stories.

Meanwhile, I am also planning to write about this science picture book project for as a chapter for a book on technology and the classroom that I am helping to edit with two esteemed college professors. As a result, I have been having my students reflect on how using the computer has been altering their composition process, and how their books will be different once I print them out on paper. I’ll share some of those observations at a later date.

Anyway, here are a few of the books:

MELvin

Journey into the Cell

Mr beebo power duuuuuuuuuude

Mr. Beebo

The Adventure Of A Cell

Adventure of a Cell

Water, Water EverywhereWater, Water Everywhere

mel the cell

The Adventure of Mel the Cell

Inside a Cell

Inside a Cell

Power point (Updated)

Elmo and Dorothy Explore the Cell

rudolf the RAPPING raindrop!!

Rudolph the Rappin’ Raindrop

Peace (in pictures),