Yesterday, I shared out some of the results of a survey that I gave to my sixth graders. Today, I am sharing out some of the comments they added for two questions:
First, if they said that schools should teach them how to use technology to connect with other students, then I asked them to write why that is important to them.
Here are some of their comments:
- Yes and only if the teachers teach you to be very careful on how and what your saying to interact with friends online, and if someone you don’t recognize thats trying to communicate with you,you should just tell a parent or teacher you trust. Also never, ever give out personal information!
- Yes, because it good to know how to communicate with each and other. It is also become very common and it would be helpful if you were taught about it.
- I would like it because,when you grow up to get a job.The owner would see ask you if you know alot about technology.That is why teachers should teach kids how to type and read!
- I think that because we should now properly how to communicate with others so that if there was ever an emergency and you did not have a phone you would have to be able to get in touch with somebody fast and I don’t really now how to do that and I’m sure that most other people do not now how to get in touch in other people. Like my grandparents. They have a phone but if they did not and one of them had a heart attack the other would not now what to do.
- I think yes because teachers can teach us how to start IMing and emailing and teach us not to trust or talk to people you do not know.
- sometimes kids don’t have computers and need to learn how to write to others. they also might not have the best handwriting. That’s why I think schools should teach how to write on computers.
- Yes, it would give kids more introduction to what happens on the internet.
- If the teacher teached us how to use technology for communicating we could what to do and it would help with social skills. I also think we should learn other technology also because technology can be very important. Me myself would like to have a class that could learn about things like video making and editing because it is important to me.
Second, I asked them envision a classroom of the future (Always an interesting question to pose to students).
Here are some of their thoughts:
- There should belarge computers with a 300 gb hardrive and memor
- I think they’ll have a tiny computer that teaches them everything. Everything will be used in technology.
- Robots as techers and mini laptops
- I think that they will have laptops on every desk, and high tech stuff to use because later 30 years from now if people now are good with technology they should be wicked good with using it 30 years from now.
- Mind reading pencils
- I think that they will be using computers that wrote down what they wanted to write. It would a be voice activated computer. I know that they have them now but, they have not reached the schools quite yet. Also they would have these robots that do the homework for the kids.
- No keyboards, faster use, no lag, more information, and easier to learn
- High powered scooters — 2 min school with thinking helmets — and better food
- Super-high tech computers, with almost immediate signal. I also think that Apple(Macintosh computers) will be more advanced and more popular.
Peace (says the robotic teacher),