Numbers Plus Words Equal Reflective Days

This week, Days in a Sentence had a numerical element to it, and as always, the contributors were wonderfully creative:

Anne arrived at a conference after many hours of traveling. I hope she blogs about the event.

After school on Wednesday, I drove 3.5 hours to Melbourne to catch the MH138 flight to Kuala Lumpur from terminal 1, gate 10 for a 7.5 hour flight, on a plane that was only 2/3 full, which landed me in KL at 545 hours for a 10 day break with 6 days long service leave and 3 days of MS Innovative Teachers conference.

And Nina, too, is conferencing this week. You just have to love the name of Webheads in Action.

In the 72-hour online marathon of the Webheads in Action Online Convergence I have so far logged 24 hours about evenly divided between Learning Times/Elluminate and Second Life; we are about halfway through.

Jo’s equation here is a struggle for her as she juggles kids and computers when the numbers don’t quite add up.

My smallest sophomore class has 21 students + I have 3 student computers in my room + the 1 available computer lab is closed for testing + the library houses only 13 computers and was only open to me for 2 days (due to testing) = 1 huge headache from finagling resources to get research projects done.

Ken goes the route of using numbers for words in his creative way. Which, of course, is what I always expect from Ken.

This has been 1 busy week that, 2 put it bluntly, has 3 aspects to it that will bring 4th at least 5 separate issues, the 6th derivative of which precedes the 7th as you might expect by the same margin that exists between 8 and 9, and if you feel there should be a 10th part to all of this, then you subscribe to a pre-20th century concept, that of decimalisation.

Ykes! Janice is hit by the Number Plague this week.

33 is the number of sleepless hours I’ve spent this week worrying about all the math concepts my grade 6 students still don’t know, and 3 is both the number of school days and the number of math periods left before the dreaded EQAO test that will remind them of all that they do not know, $450.00 is the amount of money I’ve spent so far trying to get rid of a ridiculously annoying plantar wart on my heel, 10 is the number of weeks I’ve been visiting the foot doctor hoping for said persistent wart to DIE, 49 000 000 is the number of dollars I did NOT win in this weeks lottery, and 5 is the duration (in seconds) of my long heavy sigh as I think about all these things!

Illya sees two plus two equaling four, even if the first two may not quite equal the second two (confused? read on).

Out of four days of vacation, I happen to be in bed for two of them, leaving two more to have fun on, hopefully.

Paul also gets creative with the number-word conversion system.

1 day left 2 the 3 day weekend be 4 the last 5 weeks of school.

The countdown for Art is underway.

The last 5 days of school I find myself more restless and ready to leave than many of my students.

The ol’ Email Timekiller hit Connie. I know that one all too well.

After three cups of black tea, pondering which of my 34 overnight emails to respond to before 8:30, I notice a pattern: one email led to 2 others, which led to 3, then 5, 8, 13, 21; suddenly I feel dizzy like I’m spiraling into the day as a Whirling Dervish.

Gail P. has little ones moving up. I love seeing her and her students in our building. They are darn cute.

17 kindergartners from my class will move on to 4 different grade 1 classrooms in 25 more school days, or is that 24 now, but who’s counting, right?

Bonnie was all about digital story celebrations earlier this week as her ongoing work with a local school paid dividends when the kids shared their work with their families.

I created a digital story focused on celebrating the digital stories of 76 very cool 6th graders but when the numbers were counted officially , it was really 79 digital stories of 79 6th graders with the support of 2 classroom teachers, a tech teacher, a substitute teacher and one HVWP TL.

Thanks to all of you for sharing!

Peace (in the number line),