Making My Writing Curriculum Visible

I’ve been working for a few weeks on a website that shows the progression of my writing, reading and technology curriculum for my sixth graders. In the past, I used a basic Curriculum Map that I shared with parents at our Curriculum Night and left a link on our blog page, but I was never really happy with it. With a website (which I created using Yola — fantastically easy to use, by the way), I think I can better show student work and make the projects and skills being taught a bit more visible.

What I still intend to do is to link in the standards of our new report card (we’ve moved into a standards based reporting system this year) so that projects and activities are better aligned with the progress reports. But I think our administration is still tinkering with the progress report document, so I will wait on that.

And sometime, I will go through and connect with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks, too, so that I can show alignment to what I am teaching.

One thing I did find is that creating this kind of document really forced me to rethink the rationale of what I am doing and placed me in a very reflective mode. That’s always a good thing.

Take a look at my site. I would love to get some feedback on the project.

Peace (in the year),

1. It looks like a fine and well thought out piece. Much of it may be lost on the parents and students who are often just looking out for what the kid is actually expected to do from day to day. At the same time, knowing that the teacher has given this much thought to the actual process and goal setting can be heartening for everyone.
    It reminds me of the financial report my pastor puts out quarterly. It’s not that I want to see where the money is coming from or going to any more. I know the document is there and so is the accountability.
    You have made yourself accountable by posting it. One suggestion, since you are always open to any questions or comments, why not add something to that effect, encouraging everyone to join in the conversation.
    Good luck this year Kevin. I look forward to reading more about the process and your reflections.

Gail