Day in a Sentence rocks on

dayinsentenceiconWow! What a turnout of sentences this week for Day in a Sentence as it makes it return to the ‘Net. Thanks to everyone who participated and to those of you who thought about it but ran out of time. And thanks to those of you who are just reading along with me right now (can you hear me?)

Ken sees magic and probably can now breathe easier.

What it is to be on leave, the exams marked, all the projects checked and a clear week ahead, just like the last: magic!

As many of here in the United States are just starting the year, Anne is just ending her year. Have a great break, Anne!

After two weeks of spring break, I am preparing revision, extra notes, correcting outcomes etc for the final three weeks that I have my senior secondary students before their VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) exams, as this is last term for our school year in Australia.

The world is full of hopefulness.  And it’s a good thing Art knows enough to plan for hope.

I am hoping that if I get behind in my grading really quickly, I will have a lot more time to catch up–a guy can hope!

I can almost feel the energy in Lynn J.’s comments — the active learning commotion of the classroom.

The seventh graders are on the rampage this week, full of questions and comments about absolutely everything!

Yes, Jim, Fridays are nice days.

Wow, It’s Friday. Time to stop and smell the roses.

Ben has his students deep into Hawthornian terrrain.  It sounds deep and exciting there.

My students are chipping away bits and pieces of Hawthorne’s text to reveal characterization.

Good advice here from Shaun. Was this a lesson plan almost gone awry?

If you must leave something to the last moment, be prepared.

Marg‘s thoughts are on the outdoors.

My last week of holidays has involved mowing, pruning, mulching, weeding, planting and watering my garden, which only seems to look this lovely, each set of school holidays. :-)

sara may be leaning in a little close to the plants. just let them be, sara. just let them be. (ha)

it skeeves me out that the spores on the back of ferns on my desk are the ferns’ way of getting it on; i feel like i should be getting dinner and a movie if i’m this close to something so personal.

Ok — Amy — tap into the rebels of the classroom (and hope they don’t see you as the English Monarchy)

As we begin talking about the American Revolution, I am hoping to relate their teenage rebellions or revolutions and feeling about rules to the colonists feelings about the British!

Alex‘s poetic words mask an adventurous spirit! Have fun in those woods!

Experiencing synapse-lapse, my brain flashes back greenery, scent of smoke, crisp air, and rugged mountains, making the classroom seem suddenly claustrophobic; I am so looking forward to four days of wilderness mini-break, starting tonight!

Vacation … vacation … vacation. Come on and say it with me: vacation. It’s what Illya is needing right about now (anyone else?)

It seems hardly a month gone by since the beginning of the school year and yet I’m already looking forward to the next vacation!

(Luckily, in Switzerland we have a two week vacation in the fall after only 6 weeks of school!)

Oooo. A bit of rhyming in Delaine‘s lines.

School is in full swing, with all the madness that brings.

My head was spinning a bit with the math here as Nina talks about the demographics of her class. I love that the diversity is celebrated, Nina.

My intermediate ESL class at the University of Maryland includes twelve students, speaking six different languages, from three continents and eight countries! I am in heaven.

Chocolate cake, Cynthia? Or ice cream cake? Or?

Homecoming week is over; SACS training is over; the rest of the week should be “a piece of cake”!

As the father of three boys, I have made a mental note of Mary H‘s list here. Maybe you should, too. And I can’t help but wonder about the backstory behind this sentence.

Tomatoes, superglue, duct tape, bubble solution–things to keep away from three teenage brothers.

Gosh, Connie, your sentence is beautiful on so many levels.

Weaving a fabric of knowledge in my fifth grade class; linking all subjects in a huge tapestry that has “change” as its central theme.

Gail P and I are starting to speak the same language — which is good, since we are colleagues. But I think that this year’s push into Literacy and other areas will be helpful for teachers like Gail (Kindergarten) and me (Sixth grade) to converse about our school curriculum in meaningful ways. Right, Gail?

Communities of practice and standard based report cards are helping teachers communicate about how we can all assess with the same tools, and benchmarks.

Tracy had experiential learning on her mind — something I wrote about in my own Day in a Sentence the other day.

I’m jealous of Kevin though remembering community building with our students as we zip lined on the first day and apple picked last week, also thinking that community building is an ongoing process and can’t end when we pack up at the end of a fun day.

Mary gives a good recipe for creativity in the digital age.

Word and images, images and words, add music and narration for a digital composition in Photo Story 3.

May the End soon arrive for you, Cheryl, so that you may begin again.

Our students and teachers are in a holding pattern while waiting for our state wide testing to come to an end.

Peace (to all of you in this interesting sentence community),

1. How did I forget? Big week, I guess. The top of the week was for intense creative activity as I worked to finish my latest digital piece and then with burned DVD’s for our Summer Institute 2009, we met together on Thursday and I shared it. What a powerful week of creating and then sharing with a live audience. It was wonderful to have a deadline!
    Bonnie

2. Forgive me for this question (and putting it in a comment thread), but is this the same edu-blogger that did “The Reflective Teacher” and disappeared (or at least re-formed)? The “Day in a Sentence” and “Friday Haiku” concepts feel familiar; been racking my brain to see if I missed something in the last year or two. Again, forgive the question (being placed here; not sure if a direct email address exists). Thanks in advance.

• Hi
      I am going to email you as well, but I am not the same Reflective Teacher — he “passed” along Day in a Sentence to a few of us about two years ago now and we have kept it up and running just about every week, with some breaks here and there. We loved his concept so much that we could not let it die when he retired from blogging.
      BUT, we hope you might consider joining us here and at other sites as Day in a Sentence moves through the wired world.