Slice of Life: Building Bridges

(This is part of the 2012 Slice of Life Challenge with Two Writing Teachers.)

Yesterday, our superintendent called for a half day, due to the snow storm on the way (which is now here, leading to a day off today – our first since the blizzard hit us in the fall). Half days don’t leave us a lot of time to teach because our sixth graders have their specials (art, music, etc.) in the mornings. By the time they arrive back to our classroom, we have short periods. It can be a wasted day, in some ways.

bridge collage

Yesterday, my science colleague decided to take advantage of the half day by declaring it “Bridge Building Day” in the sixth grade. They do a toothpick bridge design project for their engineering curriculum, and so we transformed each of our four classrooms into a construction zone for about 90 minutes. It was fun to watch the collaboration and listen to the chatter as my kids were working. I put on some pop music with Pandora and a few times, the whole class broke out into song while gluing toothpicks together. (It was like they were in Glee or something).

While I had to delay the start of a project myself, it was worth it. They had sustained science time and I got an opportunity to see them working in another subject area (I see them for ELA). And I got to hear them sing once or twice.

Peace (in the zone),

1. I love watching my fourth graders in different areas, often sneak back to art and stand outside the door, just to watch them create or collaborate. Usually I learn something new!

Happy snow day!

2. Ha! I love it. What a great project. I often play music and sometimes I break out into song. It may be silly but there’s somethings about a spontaneous “glee” moment that really brings a group of people together.

3. LOVE bridges as you may know. I love when students engage in constructing anything! There is so much strategy and creative problem solving that occurs. Your photos add to your story. Everyone is quite occupied.

4. I could just picture this….I love opportunities which give us a chance to step our of “the teaching zone” and into something more free form and spontaneous. Great pictures, too,

5. Snowy days always seem to help students hunker down & focus, have fun, and just do great things. I love the pics and hearing about your flexibility. It’s great when teachers work together for the good of the learning. Also sounds like the students’ breaking into song meant good times too. Thanks!
    I agree about Pinterest. I’m trying but have trouble moving around & finding things. Makes me ask how your presentation went, however. Did the teachers like your ideas?

6. I love it! Sometimes those days are the best. Yesterday, I had kids play leapfrog in honor of Leap Day. Granted, it was only about 5 minutes, but they were engaged and it’ll probably be the one thing they’ll remember!

7. Oh, those snow days. Or early out days for inservice. Any of those days that change up the schedule. I love that you let the science teacher have building bridges day. Those little out of the ordinary times are often full of great learning!

8. Picturing all this as a Glee episode is funny. When the fifth graders in our school built bridges out of toothpicks, I just couldn’t pass their classroom without popping in to see how their work was progressing. Excitement was present at all times. No singing however. At least not when I was there.

9. Thank you so much Kevin for your encouraging words! It really meant a lot to me. It sounds like your change in schedule ended up being a really great time. I’m sure that all that “Glee-ness” was quite a performance, haha.

10. That sounds like the perfect way to spend the time you had!

I need to try to play music in my room sometimes. All my students carry their own soundtracks in their heads, and often sing and hum. If they all had the same soundtrack it might be easier to handle!

11. I love this idea of everyone coming together to make sure the students had some extended, meaningful learning instead of chopped up short blocks of time. Great example of teamwork. Hope you enjoyed your snow day today!

12. Longing for a snow day here in Florida! We haven’t had winter yet! Have you done the marshmallow tower featured on TED with your students? I just enjoyed a 90 period with one of my classes while the 10th graders were testing. We got so much done and read and wrote with an intensity that isn’t there on the 48 minute days. How cool that you were able to collaborate with your colleagues.

13. Love that you built bridges to take advantage of the half day. Sounds like the kids were engaged. I love playing music when my kids are working in class. I haven’t done it much this year, so thanks for the reminder. Great pictures! Can’t wait to read your other slices for the month.

14. Great slice, Kevin! Nice to be back in the challenge, checking in with people I’ve met in challenges past. I love that this day wasn’t “lost,” love the image of the class singing as they construct their bridges.

15. So often the beauty of teaching is found in these moments. I love how bridge-building becomes a metaphor for the connection they’re experiencing with each other and you’re experiencing with them. Sweet! 🙂

16. Watching them work in groups is one of my favorite things. Observing them have conversations, make decisions, and problem solve – especially when they don’t know I am watching – makes for a great day of ‘teaching’.