Slice of Life: Bag o’ Work Left at School

(This is for the Slice of Life challenge, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. We write on Tuesdays about the small moments in the larger perspective … or is that the larger perspective in the smaller moments? You write, too.)

This is the first Spring vacation week in memory where I didn’t have an overflowing bag of student writing (either literally, or figuratively, now that I use Google Classroom for much of our writing) to read and assess and comment upon. My carrying bag, the one that is often filled with student work, is still in my classroom. I didn’t need it.

Either through planning (there was some of that, to be sure) or sheer luck of where our unit is right now (there is some of that), I’ve been able to mostly keep it relaxed so far this week.

So, why does that make me feel guilty? Sheesh.

I’m so used to spending time outside of school with student writing, and thinking of lesson plans and activity flow, that when things slow down, I feel as if something should be happening. Helping students make progress with their learning — with their writing — that’s what teachers do.

Ok, but … still … relax.

Enjoy your books. Enjoy your family. Enjoy Spring (even with snow and sleet still on the ground from yesterday’s storm that gave us permission to stay inside most of the day). Think about the days ahead when we get back, but not too much.

The dog needs a walk. Go on and do it.

Peace (on the horizon),

1. I get this. This year was a busy spring break because grades closed the next week and we’d had three unexpected snow days. I had a lot of feedback to give so we could finish our unit. I do get the times when I’m not bogged down. I feel like I should be quiet about it. ENJOY your break! (Hope it warms up soon!!)

2. Looking at our campus survey this year, one of the lowest scores from teachers was on the ability to have a work/personal life balance. Do other professionals feel guilty on their vacations? Enjoy the freedom to relax and just be!

3. I hope you are able to relax and let it go and ENJOY the freedom (I know it is hard), Good planning and good luck can be a winning combination!

4. Perfect. As I looked back on blog posts from recent years, days when I didn’t have a bag of school work beside me became the stuff of slices too. It just didn’t happen very often, especially in my creative writing class. Enjoy the experience of a spring break without much grading/commenting. Leave the guilt in the bag at school!