Call Me Naive: We are Part

Part of the Whole

Sometimes, I ponder the possibility that I might just be naive in my digital spaces. (Does pondering about it, negate it?)

I spend a lot of time in digital platforms like blogs, Twitter, Mastodon, etc., in the hopes of forging new collaborations; entering new networks; and finding new, and strengthening existing, connections.

I really do see the power in the possible.

Then I read the news and follow stories, and I see how dark the Internet and social platforms can become, and I think: How is THAT (doxing, attacking, etc.) happening in the same places as THIS (learning, connecting, etc.) is happening?

But it is.

I guess our choices are to either leave those places or work to make them better, or passively hope for the best. I’m naive in this, I know, but I think small actions and people connections still count and can make a difference (this is the teacher in me, for sure, with the faith of seeds planted now blooming later on), so I keep on keeping on, hoping a positive energy and a way forward, step by step, might improve the whole.

The above animated quote — taken from a post by Sheri and created with an image by Sarah — captures a lot of this line of thinking that I cling to in my naivety, that we are indeed connected to the larger possibilities of learning. But this always requires positive action on our part to improve things.

Let’s do it together.

Peace (I hope),

1. Naive – or optimistic?

We had our Social Media in HE conference this week – and it was one of the most wonderful experiences ever. So many lovely people being happy together, sharing practice and making plans for future collaborations. Times like that reaffirm for me the positive side of social media and make life worth while.

Of course, you an all the others in DS106 and CLMOOC do that every day with me.

2. Yesterday I received a message from a donor who did not repeat in 2018, saying he had stopped reading my blog and looking at my letters because “they were all saying the same things”. He asked, can I show how the work I was doing was being used by others and was having an impact, locally, or globally?”

I started pulling some posts from Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter, showing positive feedback, and interactions, with people I’m connecting with, such as you and other #clmooc folks.

These don’t show changing the world, but show steps involved in collecting and sharing ideas, and building a network of people, who might change the world, for one person, or for many.

I’m thinking of referring to the section in the Bible that talks about “planting seeds”. All the ideas we share are “seeds”. Some land on fertile ground. Some on rocks. They all need to be nurtured. No telling if, or how long, it will take for any to take root.

Just from the past month these added up to many posts, which I’m not sure how to present. Maybe a G+ doc. And I’m not sure that even if I present them, he’ll take the time to read, dig into the links to really understand, or engage in a way that he understands and appreciates the value, or the time it takes on the part of each of us to build these relationships, or risk the negatives lurking in digital worlds.

I’m thankful for what you call your “naivety” because if you, and others, did not make the effort to enter into this space, it would be less valuable to myself and hopefully, many others.

3. Is it naive to show another way?

No, it’s hope.

Because Daniel is right: “if you, and others, did not make the effort to enter into this space, it would be less valuable to myself and hopefully, many others.”

There will always be dark and greedy, yet living and sharing in the light and hope, helps others live and share positively as well.

We connect, keep the light shining, and lift up one another– and the world

4. I’m thankful that you keep on keeping on, Kevin. Twitter would be a less welcoming place for me if not for a sense of connection and belonging-ness I feel to the things you are all doing for #digiwrimo, #modigiwri and #clmooc. When I feel like I don’t belong to any other group, I find that I can always find something I can connect with in these two/three hashtag communities.

Cheers to simple naivete.

5. I find myself still in these places/spaces, but far less active. I am still active and if people instigate conversation then I converse there. However, I have taken other measures to find conversations worth having. For me, this comment – syndicated on my own site – is an example of that. I no longer go around gatecrashing public conversations as I used to.

Also on: Read Write Collect

• I’ve watched that, Aaron, and appreciate that act of conversational curation. This push/pull tension of conversations is intriguing, and having many options is valuable. Thanks for taking time to read, to comment and to share ideas.