XO as eReader

I’ve been exploring my XO computer as an eReader, although I didn’t quite know how to begin. Then, I found this very cool (free) eBook site called WOWIO that has a growing list of free titles for registered users (the collection does not seem to include many new novels, etc, and the selection is kind of iffy at this point).

But I have been checking out a few graphic novels from the site on my XO. I like the eReader mechanism on the XO. The lighting is nice, the resolution is pretty good, and the ability to swivel the screen to multiple positions is pretty nifty. Plus, the entire laptop is very light and easy to hold and balance on your lap or stomach (if you are reading while in the sleepy prone position).

My sons were getting a kick out of reading some comic strips (Peanuts, Garfield, etc) that I downloaded as a comic book collection from the WOWIO site. I have also added a Beowulf graphic novel, and a book about myths from around the world, and a few other odds and ends into my Queue bin (you can only download three books a day).

Right now, I am reading a Stargate graphic novel (I have a sci-fi interest).

I recently installed a little 4 gig memory chip into the XO so that I could store a bunch of books and other data without sucking up the memory on the hard drive. I continue to explore this little machine but feel stymied by my inability to get deeper into the Linux programming through the Terminal application. I need to peruse the user forums a bit more and figure what they are all talking about (ie, geek speak translation for dummies is what I really need)

Peace (in the world of eBooks),

1. Kevin:

I’ve used Linux for a long time, and believe me when I tell you that it’s not as confusing as you might think it is. I’d be glad to help you out if I can as I’m a comic book fan myself (used to own a comic book store with my sister) and there’s no need to struggle with Linux when there is help…

2. Chris
    That is very generous of you and I may be emailing you.
    One of my goals is try to move my way into Open Source this year and the XO seems to be a perfect way to move slowly.