According to Goodreads, where I have been faithfully documenting just about every book I read this year, I have consumed more than 50 books (and counting). I had set a goal for myself of reading 40 books over the course of the year of 2011, and exceeded that by just more than 10 books. I started using Goodreads a few years ago but this last year, I was sort of obsessive with it. It’s one of those spaces that is both a source of book ideas and also a place to add what you know to the general cloud of data.
So, what does the year say about my reading habits?
- I did a lot of read-alouds with my youngest son. We’re now in that prime age of 7 years old when he is getting to love more complex stories, so Harry Potter, the Throne of Fire series, and more were a hit with him. Another year or so, and the read-aloud moments might be more difficult to sustain. For now, I am enjoying the time together, with a book between us.
- I read less graphic novels this year than any other year in recent times. I can’t quite say why, but I did.
- The longest book I read was Reamde by Neil Stephenson, and I still think he could have cut about 300 pages and still had a good book.
- I had 14 books with the top rating and just one book with the lowest rating. I think I am a generous reviewer.
- I can’t help but notice a few books on my “current reading” have been there for some time. These are mostly collections but still … get ’em read!
- I created my own category of “abandoned” books this year. I am at the point where I don’t want to waste my precious reading time with a bad book. I feel guilt when I abandoned a story, but I can live it with (as long as the next book is good)
- There is a solid mix of fiction and non-fiction in my book pile. I like to mix it up.
- I have 24 books on my “to read” list, and a pile of books by my bedside table.
So, what is my goal for 2012? Bump it up to 45 books! I think I can do it.
Peace (on the shelves),