Audio Book Review: My Weird School Daze

My Weird School: Books 1-4 (Audio) ~ David Gutman (Author) Cover Art

My seven-year-old son and I have had some good laughs while listening to an audio version of Dan Gutman’s My Weird School Daze. With titles of the four books such as Miss Daisy is Crazy and Mr. Klutz is Nuts, how can you go wrong?

Gutman’s sense of fun and voice of character (always a hallmark of his writing) comes through in this series for young readers, and listening to John Beach bring it all to life (not easy, given the crazy characters) was enjoyable. There’s not a whole lot of depth to the stories, which made it perfect for the car, where we could go days between listening and still easily catch up. And I didn’t realize just how many books there are in this series until I was googling around a bit. That man is busy.

The “story” behind these books is about the young narrator, AJ, who doesn’t like school all that much but begins to notice that his teachers and principal are a bit nuts. That at least makes school interesting for him and his friends. Of course, what AJ doesn’t realize is that while he never thinks he is learning, he is. His teachers are pretty wily, and imaginative. I was reading some of the comments at Amazon, and some people were offended by the “I hate school” sentiment of AJ, but I didn’t mind all that much.

We all have those AJs in our classroom, and maybe you and I and our colleagues are a little nutty at times, right?

Peace (in our weird schools),