Slice of Life: Overheard in the Van

I had the “pleasure” of driving five eighth grade boys to AAU basketball practice last night (and then, did some grading before picking them up and bringing them back home). Our five families are splitting the driving chores, and last night was our night. I quickly realized how big these kids have gotten in the past year as they crammed their way into our van, like clowns in a clown car. They were just missing the make-up.

For the most part, I just listened in to their conversations. Some of the things these eighth grade boys chatted about:

• The difference between “smart math” and regular math classes.
  • How one of them was sent into the hallway for talking (“so unfair!”) and then when told to go then go to the vice principal’s office, refused to do so (“I just went back in the classroom and sat down at my desk. She didn’t do anything.”)
  • What cell phone carrier everyone had, and the relative merits of each.
  • Whether or not the new basketball jerseys they received from their Suburban basketball team is a  “sweater” or a “fleece” or something else.
  • How a friend of theirs dropped their iPod in the hallway at school, watched it get accidentally kicked down the hallway, and then when he finally retrieved it, he accidentally stepped on it, cracking the glass. (“You know how mad he gets, too. It was scary.”)
  • How they were “fooling” a mutual friend into thinking two of them had a fight with each other. It appears to be an elaborate ruse.
  • Whether baseball is a better spring sport than lacrosse but how basketball beats them both.
  • Whether the history homework was really due today (and if so, they needed to work on it when they got home)
  • How to take on a bigger person when you are playing one-on-one, playground-style.
  • Whether this year’s AAU team has any promise.

I had the windows cranked open as we drove home. They smelled like a sweaty gym. (Which, of course, was the source of many jokes). And we we listened to the final minute of the UMass vs. Drexel game in the NIT tournament as UMass clawed its way back from a 17-point deficit to win the game and move on to Madison Square Garden for the NIT. There was a collective “whoop” and then it was back to other topics.

Peace (in the front seat),

1. Insightful. I like to hang back and listen because some days you get so much more information than asking questions. They will say things you wouldn’t even think or know to ask about…

2. Heh. My kids are still in the “little kid” stage. But it’s still funny to listen to them chat with each other sometimes.

And sometimes I have to remember to watch what I’m saying. They don’t ever listen when I WANT them to, but heaven forbid I mention something I really don’t want to discuss with them to my husband in the car (like political news) and their ears perk right up.

3. Isn’t it fun to just listen to their conversations. My son is only seven but one day I listened to him and another friend talk while we were on our way to a birthday party. It was so hard to just be quiet and not chuckle out loud. 🙂

4. My boys are still nine and six so the conversations in the car still involve me much of the time. I do love when they (and their friends) forget I’m there – you can learn so much.

5. I remember fondly the drives to and from swim practice listening to the girls chatter. I felt a sense of loss when my daughter started driving. A relief of the chore but a loss of the all knowing eavesdropping from the front seat. The muses are all around us…

6. Listen to the thinking you had in your backseat(s)! Wow! Evaluation, compare/contrast, description, synthesis. I LOVE listening in to my son talk to his buddies when we’re in “the wagon.” Thank you for sharing–it’s such a delight to hear their authentic voices. The smell details remind me of a stand-up comic’s “courtesy sniff. Too funny all that boy humor.

7. What a fun fly on the wall moment from your day. I couldn’t help but feel a little old when you said they were talking about cell phone carriers. Wow, times have changed. 😉