Sending off “Teaching the New Writing”

I happily sealed up and mailed off a copy of our Teaching the New Writing: Technology, Change and Assessment in the 21st Century Classroom yesterday to one of the many writers in the Slice of Life Challenge that took place in March over at Two Writing Teachers. The book was a gift as a prize that Stacey and Ruth were giving out to participants. It seemed the least I could do for them, giving their work in nurturing writers for the past five years of the Slice of Life Challenge.

I sent the book, and a short note, off to Barbara, who runs a blog called First Grade Delight. I hope she enjoys it and finds some useful ideas in there. As I noted in my letter to her, sometimes we are planting seeds of ideas and hoping things will take bloom, even if it happens slowly and over time. Our aim with our book was always to showcase some teachers, and provide some ideas to think about the possibilities of writing as technology becomes part of the lives of our students.

Peace (in the book),

1. It’s things like this that really make me miss having writing instruction as part of my daily work. I instruct in reading, and math, and I do some enrichment units. I try to infuse as much writing as I can into my reading groups, but I just don’t have them long enough to do what I’d love to do with it. I could offer writing as enrichment choices, but I’m afraid that I wouldn’t have enough kids sign up and I’d have to cancel it 🙁

• I do try to do that whenever I can. I’ve done digital animation for storytelling 🙂 I also have to finagle a computer cart whenever I want to use tech, so that’s another fun hassle, as I’m in competition with everyone else *chuckles*