More Than Meets the Eye: Five Card Storytelling

Five Card Story: When I Remember You, I Remember Us

a Five Card Flickr story created by dogtrax

flickr photo by @DrGarcia

flickr photo by Serenae

flickr photo by bionicteaching

flickr photo by bionicteaching

flickr photo by bionicteaching

I didn’t quite know where the story was going until that last image, which seems to be a memorial/remembrance of sorts. So, the story unfolded in reverse for me. The doll in the window seems to indicate a longing, with fierce metaphorical weather arriving. The leaf is most interesting to me here. It’s a beautiful shot, right? But it has a mournful quality to it, too.

Over at DS106, one of the activities to consider during this week of storytelling is using the Flickr tool “Five Card Story” that provides random images, and you choose one from a collection and built a visual story. It’s a fascinating dip into the world of visual storytelling, with just enough randomness to make it surprising and just enough agency to let you guide the story forward.

In mine, you can see what I was thinking in the comments of the piece. Essentially, I had an idea that then got completely changed with the final image, forcing me to re-imagine the entire story in reverse. For this kind of activity, you really need to be able to change your mind, and not dig in to a story too early. You never know what picture will come next that will alter your storytelling instincts.

You try it, too. Head to the Five Card Story site and make your own. What story will you tell?

Peace (in the visual),