The Ooohs and Ahhs of Augmented Reality

The past few days, for morning work, I have had my students coloring. I made it a sort of mystery about why we were doing coloring instead of our usual morning work routines (critical thinking puzzles, math and writing work, etc.). Yesterday, I brought my iPad into the classroom and hooked it up to the Interactive Board, called up my ColAR app (free, with some premium features) and asked kids to bring their colored pages up to me.

I then pointed the iPad to their pictures … and the oohs and ahhs began.
Using colar

The app brings to life the colored pages, and it led us to talk about the wave of Augmented Reality apps that are now coming out, and what AR even is (most had never heard of the phrase before). They were really jazzed about the app, and I suspect more than a few dashed home to download it.

I still want to find a way to hack the coloring pages to make them my own. But I haven’t yet had a chance to experiment with it.

Peace (in the AR),

1. Kevin,

Thank you for sharing this experience, and I am happy that it worked out well for you and your students. AR is something that I have yet to experiment with, but your post just got me a little bit more determined to try it as soon as possible!