Even Further Unflattening

This is what I was working on yesterday, as I dove deeper into the remixing and thinking about the graphic dissertation Unflattening by Nick Sousanis. See yesterday’s post to get a sense of some of the reasons I am doing this, and how it is helping me think about Nick’s message of art and creation and perception.

Terry, with Nick’s permission, took Page 45 from the book and popped it into ThingLink for a crowdsourced annotation. I found it fascinating to add layers to the work, mulling over how the messages of the page might get represented by other work, pulling the reader from the page itself. In effect, we are doing a dance with Nick, the writer, saying to yet a third reader: “Here is what I see in this. What do you see?”

What do you see? Add another layer in the Thinglink.

Meanwhile, I took an image of Page 45, too, and began to mess around with it in various photo editors. One of them allows me to really remix an image, through various cut-up lens. This one gives the impression of a collage remix, with the box emphasizing a message all of its own.

More Unflattening

Then, I thought: What if I cut out the frames of the page and re-arranged them into something new? Would that even work? Would it make sense? It was worth a try. Here’s what I came up with when I was done.

More Unflattening

Peace (in the remix),