Slice of Life: A Cold Room on a Hot Day

(This is for the Slice of Life challenge, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. We write on Tuesdays about the small moments in the larger perspective … or is that the larger perspective in the smaller moments? You write, too.)

There are all sorts of reasons why people come to my classroom these days. A quick chat. Something forgotten behind. A borrowed book. Check-in with a student.

Mostly, though, it’s the cool air flowing.

I am lucky that I have the only air conditioned classroom in the building, a result of the room’s past life as the computer lab (we don’t have a lab anymore … we have rolling carts) and the home to the computer server, which thankfully was moved elsewhere a number of years ago (it hummed and rattled like crazy at times).

I don’t mind the visitors. I keep my head down when my colleagues complain about the heat and humidity — summer finally hit us here in New England — and I remain humble. I know I’m lucky and happy to share that luck with anyone who needs a moment of reprieve.

Just come on in. You don’t need an excuse.

Peace (in the hot and in the cold),

1. That’s a major perk! I can just imagine the line out your classroom door! Our building is “climate controlled” with geothermal heating/cooling, but yesterday it just wasn’t up to the job. My classroom was about 80 degrees.

2. I can relate to this! I also had one of the few air conditioned rooms in my building. It was an internal room with no windows for ventilation, so the air pretty much ran all the time. Sometimes kids would ask to come in at recess so they could read…they knew what would work with me.