Make Panoramic Virtual Reality in Cardboard

Cardboard VR

Thanks to Richard Byrne, over at Free Tech for Teachers, I began exploring Google Cardboard again, but this time, I used the Google Cardboard Camera app to make my own virtual reality. The free app allows you to create a 360 degree panorama, and you can even add audio narration, and then share it out with people. (I did it with my Droid phone but I believe you can do the same with any iOS device.)

I did a trial run in my backyard and then used it when I did a hike up to a fire tower known as Goat’s Peak, which gives you a nice view of the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts from top Mount Tom.

If you have Google Cardboard (or some VR goggles .. I bought my set from Amazon for about 10 bucks) and the Google Cardboard viewer app, the links should open up for you in that app. You can see what I saw and hear me explaining it a bit.

See my backyard

See Pioneer Valley from Goat’s Peak

Here is Richard’s very helpful video tutorial on making and sharing Google Cardboard VR.

It would be pretty cool to have students use the Google Cardboard Camera app to make their own virtual reality shows of special places.

Peace (it’s reality),