A Networked Narratives hangout last week with digital artist Emilio Vavarella provided some keen insights into how an artist might use digital tools and technology to make statements on the connected world. I popped the video of the interview into Vialogues so I could watch at my leisure and add comments/ questions/ observations as I went along.
Emilio has done some pretty interesting art endeavors and museum installations, including:
- The Captcha Project, which critiqued the concept of human labor in the digital age
- Do You Like Cyber? — an audio installation using digital voices of bots from dating sites
- Animal Cinema, of animals caught taking pictures with cameras
- Driver and Cameras, which focuses in on the selfie images made by mistake by Google drivers taking images for its Streetview Maps
- Digital Pareidolia, in which Emilio documents the errors of Facebook’s face recognition software
Peace (asking questions),