When You Give Yourself a Badge …

EL30 Badge site

This week’s task over at E-Learning 3.0 is to create and award a badge to yourself, and then reflect on the process. I am still very mixed on the use and effectiveness of digital badging.

I’ve had experiences in open learning spaces like CLMOOC and WriteOut (where we designed a Playlist format with badging as documentation). I still wonder about whether the intent behind badges (documenting learning) is in sync with reality (how are badges really used or they just forgotten afterwards?).

But I climbed aboard the EL30 badge bus and ventured back into Badge List, which is site we used for CLMOOC in the past. I created a new “group” for EL30 and then created a new badge for those who are making comics as critique or questioning or just sharing out learning.

EL30 badge

This is a Badge of One, I suspect, since I think I am the only person doing comics in the mix (see my collection over at Flickr). That’s OK. I am still enjoying it. I went through the process of creating the Comic Critic badge and the criteria, and set it all up. It only took a few minutes.

Then, I went through the process of uploading evidence (a comic) and submitting it for feedback and review.

EL30 Badge Comic

Then, I (as administrator) reviewed what I submitted (as participant), and awarded myself the badge. I was very generous with myself.

EL30 Badge Award

Now what? Well, I did move the new badge into my Badge Backpack. It’s another place I put things to remember, only to forget.

Open Badge Backpack

Peace (wear it proudly),