Idea to Image to Poem to Song

A Divided Writer

I put out a call to some friends yesterday to visualize their digital writing, but without words. I was curious to what folks might do. Mine is above. As Terry, and then Anna, and then Sheri, shared their ideas, I started to think of how I might interpret their designs through poem and song. This part of an extended conversation about writing digitally (and you are invited). We are using the hashtag #modigiwri (more digital writing) on Twitter.

I first used Sheri, Anna and Terry’s images for poems, adding words as a layer of interpretation, and then moved into capturing what I was seeing in their art into short song loops. It’s a musical interpretation of a visual idea about a writing concept.

Which was an intriguing process, of looking deep into the images and trying to figure out, how do you capture an idea in music? I hope these three friends find my attempt interesting.

For Terry

• Evocation: Contemplative, slow moving forward, junction points, pause

For Anna

• Evocation: Sinking, Drum Circles, building towards a smaller center, outer lines moving inward, tension

For Sheri

• Evocation: curiosity, celebration, maps with dotted lines, choices, convergence

If you share your image, I’ll do my best to do the same for you.

Peace (in sounds of static),

Share this post:
  1. Hi Kevin,

I have been trying to reach out to you regarding a poem you had posted which I would love to incorporate as part of a project installation in Vancouver. If you can get back to me via email or phone that would be wonderful!

Thank you,
    judy