The Network Effect of Kindness

Kindness flickr photo by David Lee King shared under a Creative Commons (BY-NC-SA) license

I was driving to school yesterday and I caught this piece on NPR about social media effect — but on how kindness can also spread. We focus so much on the dark side of the social networking effect on us in terms of negativity that it is good to remember that we also respond to the positives of our networks — that one person doing a kind thing for another has a ripple effect.

Take a listen

Read the transcript

I am apt to believe in this. You? Be kind out there today. It’ll come back to you.

Peace (in positivity),

1. I don’t know the actor Patton Oswalt, but after listening to this, I’ll make an effort to learn more. His response to a negative Tweet was not “knee jerk” but thoughtful.

He spent some getting to know the source of the tweet ( “I looked at his timeline and he’s in a LOT of trouble health-wise”) then not only made a generous donation, but asked others to do the same.

I don’t know many celebrities (or other people) who would do that. Hope there are a lot more.

Thanks for sharing.