Daily Create: Playing With Corners and Folds

I’m not even sure what kept me working on this DS106 Daily Create prompt through the day yesterday but the prompt about paper folds first led to an image that I thought was interesting but not what I wanted (I used an online paper fold art generator off Github but it seemed more like some alien blob factory).

Folded Blobs

So then I wrote a short poem, about writing on paper as you fold the corners in.

start from a corner
and pull inward, sharp
edges folded at the
center of the writing
of a poem of the story
you were trying so
hard to make clear
before it disappeared

That visual stayed with me for a few hours, and then I went back to start to try to visualize the words actually being folded. This was done using a screenshot of my poem and then some filters and effects in Lunapic.

Folded Paper Poem

Later, I wondered if I could make the digital image more three-dimensional and found a site that sort of does that, or at least does it interestingly enough for me to work with. I took that video file of the flat poem becoming more dimensional and moved it into iMovie, where I kept on tinkering around.

Then I composed the music track, added narration, and it was done. Normally, a Daily Create takes about 15 minutes but this one just hung around in my head for the day, so I just kept on playing around. The video at the top of the post is what I ended up with.

Peace (and Folds),