Poetry: Writing by Modem’s Flickering Light

Day Seven poem

I was off daydreaming about something — trying to put together some ideas on a project — when I realized I was staring at and being mesmerized by the blinking lights of our modem on the floor of our living room, by the television. So odd. The mathematical phrase of “mean, mode ..” came late, first as an alliterative stretch but then as something more … I also went for the “found poem” look here, on purpose.

Peace (in the movement of ideas),

1. You do such interesting visual compositions! Every year, when I write with you, I think that someday I am going to learn some of these. I love the comparison of modem and totems (not to mention how to works auditorily). I think about the old modems where you had to unplug and use your phone line.

• Thank you, Carol. I guess it’s just trying to explore with words and media … having others, like you, in the mix is a bonus I always appreciate …

2. Like Carol, I like the way you play with totem and modem, and line those lights right up like it was one of those poles, too.

I also like the old-timey punch through lettering. I can’t remember what it was called, but I remember my folks having one of those plastic punchers from when I was a kid. To me, I gives an old-timey look and connects the old with the new.