WriteOut: Cadence in a Field of Outside Art

One of the themes of this year’s Write Out project is “cadences” and on a tour of an outdoor sculpture art show at a local apple orchard the other day, my attention was drawn to an art piece that made sound. It is constructed of heavy recycled industrial piping, and looks like an oversized percussion piece that had gone awry.

When you push any of the pieces, the entire sculpture sets sound into a slow motion, creating a metal-banging rhythm of unexpected noise. It’s pretty mesmerizing, and I found myself there for a long time, just gently pushing the pipes and listening to the gonging filtering through the fields of outdoor art.

The tone of the pipes seemed a perfect cadence for the kind of outdoor art gallery it was, and watching the movement was like watching a pendulum swing, as the energy from one pipe transferred to another, making a kind of unexpected music.

I had this plans of creating a video, with sound, being embedded inside a collage of images from the art show sprawled out over the fields of the apple orchard/farm. I remembered a site I had used long ago – Kapwing — and sure enough, it allowed me to create a multi-media collage.

Peace (listening to the sound),

PS: Write Out is underway, with tons of daily resources on place-based writing and inspirations. Come join us.