Slice of Life: Visiting the Woods of Vermont for #Writeout

(This is for the Slice of Life challenge, hosted by Two Writing Teachers. We write on Tuesdays about the small moments in the larger perspective … or is that the larger perspective in the smaller moments? You write, too.)

With the start of the Write Out project, getting outside to observe the world has been on the list. Yesterday, my wife surprised my youngest son and I with one of her “magical mystery tours” in which she doesn’t tell us where we’re headed until we get there.

Yesterday, it was an hour or so north, up to Brattleboro, Vermont. We had hoped the Autumn foliage would be more brilliant than here, in Western Massachusetts, but that actually wasn’t the case. There’s more green to the north than here, which was sort of disappointing, but the drive was beautiful, and our hike along the Sunrise Trail loop through Fort Dummer State Park in late afternoon was lovely.

Since “discovering stories” is a theme of Write Out, I did a little research on the Fort Dummer State Park. It was one of the first settlements and was built in 1724 with an overlook of the Connecticut River. Soldiers there, along with Mohawk Indians, protected the area from the French and other tribes.

Later, I had this idea of a music composition running around in my head, inspired by our hike through the woods, so I spent some time, creating the soundtrack — I call it Woodlines — and then used SoundSlides to put the music with the images from our walk in the woods.

Peace (in light and color),

1. Thank you for sharing your experience with NWP’s Write Out! It sounds amazing!!! I love Vermont! My dad was born and raised in Springfield, VT…not far from Brattleboro. Sounds like it was a beautiful day!

2. Breathtaking images – I can almost feel the crispness of the air in the sights and the mellow tones. Welcoming and lovely.

3. I love the way you combined words, images, and music! I do miss fall in New England, but not the cooler weather. I think that is the first time I have seen your wife:) What fun to have magical mystery tours together!

4. Your magical mystery tour sounds wonderful! Brattleboro is a favorite spot of ours. You’ll have to go to the Strolling of the Heifers weekend!