Getting Back to Rock and Roll

Sold Out band

Last night, for the first time since early March, I made my way to my friend’s house to play rock and roll with my bandmates. The Pandemic had shut us down, and as one who will soon be in a building of many people (students and teachers), I am a little leery of being in someone else’s house.

But they all agreed and I was eager, and so we gathered to try to remember some songs we haven’t thought about for seven months, and I tried to get a singing voice in shape (I am a fill-in singer while we look for a lead singer and a bass player, a project also put on the back burner in March).

It felt good to run my fingers along the keys of my tenor saxophone and to get warm sounds into the air. (I had left it there but had an alto here at home). It felt even better just to connect with my friends through music, even if some parts were a little rough. There’s something magical about musical connections.

My voice is a little hoarse this morning, and I hope it holds out for my teaching today. I tried to not overdo it last night, keeping the singing to a minimum, but …. that’s rock and roll for you.

Peace (when music fills the air),